LAWRENCE — In recognition of the University of Kansas' enriching artistic and cultural community, the Campus Arts Week brings together collaborating organizations across campus for a week of exhibits and events. Campus Arts Week will span the week of April 6-12 and is an expansion of the Campus Art Walk held in previous years.
“This year an afternoon just wasn’t enough to contain all of the creative exploration happening at KU,” said Courtney Foat, KU Libraries executive coordinator and Campus Arts Week organizer. “We want students to not only take advantage of the vibrant, inventive arts community on campus but to really engage with and create art themselves.”
Highlights of the week’s events will include a juried student art show, a film screening of Werner Herzog’s “Grizzly Man,” improvisational dance and a University Theatre production. Participants will be encouraged to create themselves by writing “floor poetry,” engaging with interactive happenings, adding to a column of wishes and posing as subjects from well-known art masterpieces.
Campus Arts Week culminates April 12 with the Day of Creativity at the Museums. Details about all of the events are available at http://lib.ku.edu/arts-week. Prizes will be given out to Campus Arts Week participants posting photos and fun on social media using the tag #KUARTSWEEK.
All events are open to the public. KU Libraries and the Lied Center, Natural History Museum, William Allen White School of Journalism & Mass Communications, School of the Arts, Spencer Museum of Art and Student Union Activities are hosting the events.
Tuesday, April 7
Poetry in the Gallery, 10 a.m.-noon, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, North Gallery
Wednesday, April 8
• Arts Week Photo Booth, noon-2 p.m., Anschutz Library, Level 3
• Behind the Scenes: "Flora, the Red Menace," 3 p.m., William Inge Memorial Theatre, Murphy Hall
Thursday, April 9
• Make a Wish for Art, featuring University Dance Company performers, 1-3 p.m., Watson Library, Level 3
• Screening of Werner Herzog's "Grizzly Man," 7 p.m., Natural History Museum, Panorama
Friday, April 10
• African Drum Ensemble of KU performance, noon, Kansas Memorial Union Plaza
• OASIS, 5:30 p.m., Elizabeth Sherbon Theater, 240 Robinson
• "Flora, the Red Menace," 7:30 p.m. William Inge Memorial Theatre, Murphy Hall
Saturday, April 11
• SMA Art Cart: What's the Story?, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Spencer Museum of Art
• "Flora, the Red Menace," 7:30 p.m., William Inge Memorial Theatre, Murphy Hall
Sunday, April 12
• Day of Creativity at the Museums, noon- 3 p.m., Spencer Museum of Art
• SMA Art Cart: What's the Story?, noon- 4 p.m., Spencer Museum of Art
• "Flora, the Red Menace," 2:30 p.m., William Inge Memorial Theatre, Murphy Hall
• Cultural Mosaic Student Juried Show | Spencer Museum of Art, Level 3
• LibArt Student Art in the Libraries | Anschutz Library, Watson Library & Kenneth Spencer Research Library
• Lied Center Student Art Exhibit | 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. | Lied Center
• School of Journalism Photography & Art Contest | All day (closed 2:45-4:30 p.m.) Stauffer-Flint Hall, Clarkson Gallery